OR A TRUE RELATION OF STRANGE PROCEEDINGS IN A SOMERSETSHIRE LOFT

Monday, 4 September 2017

MARCHING FOR PARLIAMENT AGAIN

I managed to get up to Malmesbury on Saturday where my old ECWS regiment Colonel Nicholas Devereux's was taking part in the town parade. This was the first time I had done Civil war drill for 20 odd years, but it's like riding a bike and all the postures came back as if I had learned them yesterday, so when the order came for "half file leaders double your front to the left" (after a momentary panic) I remembered what to do.


pic from the regiments facebook page

That's me, fifth from the right in the big brown hat! It was great to be marching behind the drums, fife and colours again, and I am really looking forward to going to a Sealed Knot event at the end of this month.

Traditionally, the ECWS always had the edge on authenticity with much better kit and drill, and the Sealed Knot on numbers, but with flaky kit and dire drill, but I think things have changed now. Sadly numbers in the ECWS seem to have dwindled, and it has to be said the average age has gone up considerably! Still it was good to be marching alongside such ECW luminaries as Alan Turton and Chris Scott. 

I'll post again as soon as I get my camera working.

4 comments:

  1. Great to see you,well done. Looking forward to seeing more photos.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be posting some pics of my kit soon.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, it does make me look like a mushroom. Great for keeping slowmatch dry as well as the sun out of my eyes when I'm drawing a bead on a pesky Royalist.

      Delete