OR A TRUE RELATION OF STRANGE PROCEEDINGS IN A SOMERSETSHIRE LOFT AND THE FIELDS ABOUNDING

Monday 16 February 2015

PRINCE MAURICE OF THE PALATINATE

Nominally the commander of the Royal forces at Lansdown, I generally don't mind Prince Maurice, despite me being a rampant Parliamentarian. A better chap than his frightful brother Rupert. I'm sure he would have been mounted, but a dearth of mounted command figures has forced him to go on foot.


figure by Mokarex
 I've been painting a few staff officers and command figures to give me a break from regiments of foot.

Also arrived today a large parcel of 54mm ECW figures from The Duchy of Tradgardland. So eager was I toget them sorted out and hand some over to the boys I forgot to photograph them, but some will be absorbed into the lead/plastic mountain and appear painted soon. Thanks Alan.

8 comments:

  1. Looking good. Would love to see you to do Hopton's Royalists around the time of Stratton. Sir Bevil Grenville's monument in Kilkhampton Church is on my list of 'places to visit at some point.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I tend to skim over Stratton it being a bungled Parliamentarian defeat (the Earl of Stamford was having an off day), but I will be painting Hopton himself soon, a chunky figure by Peipp Miniatures).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing them in action one day...
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool command figure, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mokarex do some really useful figures....especially for the WSS (Louis the Tyrant and all his advisors).

      Delete
  5. He has the right stance! I've not been keeping up with your blog (bad! too much 'life'), but how are you going to model Landsdown? I walked the battlefield 27 years ago (including the time has stood still green lane), and it is one hell of a hill to climb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks for looking in. In 54mm I plan to use a 6' x 8' table with Lansdown hill (thick layers of polystyrene) at one end taking up about 3' so room to array the Parliamentarians on top. I won't bother with Freezing Hill on the other side....it will all be representative anyhow.

      Delete