OR A TRUE RELATION OF STRANGE PROCEEDINGS IN A SOMERSETSHIRE LOFT AND THE FIELDS ABOUNDING

Friday 20 November 2015

BAVARIAN RE-INFORCEMENTS FROM RUSSIA

In the interests of better Russo/British relationships, I ordered a pile of these rather nice figures from Tehnolog via ebay and they came recently in record time and ridiculously low postage. Tehnolog are a Russian toy company making a range of soldiers in different scales and model kits etc. and some of them are very nice.

The chaps I was interested in were billed as Soldiers of Peter the Great and will be perfect for my Funny Little Wigs project in which I will use them as Bavarians. The figures have a slightly cartoonish look with jutting jaws, stocky bodies and big feet, but there re so few early 18c figures available in 54mm all are welcome. Tehnolog have started casting their soldiers in softer plastic and supplying them in bags which makes them a bit cheaper than the old method of hard plastic and boxes.

Let's have a look at the 5 poses ( you get one of each in the set).
The pile of jumbled bodies after unpacking (9 bags worth here)

The 2 most useful poses for the firing line

A sergeant and officer, also suitable for conversion to ensign

The obligatory odd pose in all plastic sets. I'll probably convert this fellow into a grenadier.

The bag header, for those of you that understand Cyrillic script (I certainly don't)

Tehnolog make a number of useful sets....Vikings, Gladiators and some very nice fantasy figures. I've purchased a multi Fantasy set for the youngest laddie which contains Barbarians , Elves and some Orcish types wearing WW2 German Stahlhelms.

13 comments:

  1. They look interesting - never heard of this firm before , Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some good toy soldier stuff coming out of the east nowadays.

      Delete
  2. Great looking figures ,never heard of them either but I will investigate...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't read Russian, but can transliterate Cyrillic script. The header loosely translated to 'Set (of) soldiers'; and the bit below 'Fantasy' very loosely translates as 'Create (you own) army' The bits in parentheses I have added or modified ('svoyu' I'm not sure about).

    They are quite nice figures, though one feels that one would want at least half a dozen each of the firing and loading guys for each one of the other three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the transliteration...my fellow bloggers never cease to amaze me!! As for useless poses...'twas ever thus with plastic sets. A couple of really useful ones and the rest in funny poses.

      Delete
  4. I have a couple of sets that I picked up to use as Danes and have been searching all over for more, I'm gobsmacked that you managed to find nine!

    Funny little Wigs - I like that, Mrs C has dubbed my project "Little Frilly Wars" but it doesn't seem to be catching on.

    Best wishes, Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky in that the seller had only just listed them so I snapped them up...now on the lookout for more. Frilly and Wiggy sum up the 18c nicely.

      Delete
    2. Re. the odd fifth pose, I thought with a bit of judicious trimming between the thighs he might be encouraged to sit a horse and sign up for the dragoons?

      Delete
    3. Good idea...I may as well utilise the strange pose to good effect.

      Delete
    4. The same thought occurred to me, but I thought the musket and sword might prove awkward. Looking more closely, I think maybe the musket could be trimmed off, and the sword very carefully around the hand to keep the hilt/hand guard. It could then be fitted over the right hand and glued into place. The other guys could be treated in similar fashion to create flag and guidon bearers, not to mention generals, pikemen and what have you.

      Delete
    5. More food for thought...I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this lot of figures.

      Delete
  5. I recently picked up a few of these chaps - I really must subject them to paint...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to see some early 18c outdoor games in the future.

      Delete