OR A TRUE RELATION OF STRANGE PROCEEDINGS IN A SOMERSETSHIRE LOFT AND THE FIELDS ABOUNDING

Saturday 14 March 2015

A BRIEF FLURRY OF CASTLE BUILDING

Painting has been put on hold at Atticus Towers as the oldest son and heir came home from school last week with homework.......a mission to build castle. I can remember my Dad helping me build a Motte and Bailey but my lad had grander ideas.

Here we are after 2 evenings work


Loosely based on Goodrich castle which we visited last year. A bewildered early Roman demonstrates scale on the battlements.


Some of these tubes have been in my bits box for a decade or more....I knew it was worth squirelling them away.

So the basic 2 tier mound has been cut using the trusty hot wire cutter, along with the barbican and approach slope. The spec was to build a castle that demonstrated different forms of defence, so we have a partial curtain wall, barbican and dry moat so far. The keep and remainder of the walls will be added tomorrow. Jolly good fun, and nice there is a time limit so we are not being too fussy about detail and accuracy. Afterwards, assuming we get it back from the clutches of the history master, it can be used with 15mm or 1/72 figures.



8 comments:

  1. Very nice! Reminicent of those Elastolin castles of days gone by. Are you going to seal the Styrofoam then paint with sprays or are you going with acrylics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. I'll be using Decoart acrylics....went into town today and stocked up.

      Delete
  2. Great work and I really look forward to seeing the castle complete and with toy soldiers in it!
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, we have some very nice 1/72 Caesar 15c knights to inhabit it .

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Scott.....compared to your own efforts it looks a bit weedy, but I have so enjoyed making it so far I'll be building some more terrain I think. Years ago (before kiddiwinks) I used to bang out some large pieces (Stokesay castle in 28mm and Minas Tirith in 15mm for example).

      Delete