OR A TRUE RELATION OF STRANGE PROCEEDINGS IN A SOMERSETSHIRE LOFT AND THE FIELDS ABOUNDING

Thursday 2 February 2012

A FINAL PURCHASE

Some sad but not unexpected news yesterday, the Bath Model Centre (aka The Modellers Den) is closing down. My brothers and myself can remember pushing open the narrow doors clutching our sweaty coins ready to buy the latest Airfix offerings, and I believe there has been a model shop there since the 1950's, but in the past few years it has had half filled shelves and uninspiring stock, and I have had to travel to Frome to get paint and figures. I popped in yesterday to get some glue and milliput, but there wa little else of interest for sale.

Staggering home from work, frozen to the marrow, Mrs. Atticus kindly dispatched me to the attic, where I put the milliput to good use


These fellow will be undercoated tonight. Lurking to the left of the picture are some tentative purchases for an embryonic Funny Little Wars army....beastly Prussians of course.

3 comments:

  1. It's sad when they go...I've seen Fleet Models, Farnborough (Cove) Models, Dark Star, Concord, Esdevium Games, Control Systems (two sites) and the little place by Manor Park all go in less than 20 years! In three neighbouring towns mind, include Camberly, Farnham, Guildford and Basingstoke with the other towns between and it's probably 30-odd model shops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having bought a call to arms ecw musketeers yesterday in a model shop I wondered if I could ask what you undercoat and varnish your chaps in?
    thanks
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan, I undercoat my ECW figures matt black humbrol enamel, and as yet have not varnished them as I am still deciding if I should have have them gloss or matt. My 18th century figures I undercoated white enamel (a bit flaky though) and varnished with Quick Shine Floor polish (also called Klear) from Lakeland for a gloss finish. I might even try yacht varnish for a really gloss effect, but am a bit concerned it will yellow with age. The white undercoat made the figure a lot brighter and more cheery, but as I have done so may ECW with a black I had better stick to that for them.
    cheers
    Mike

    ReplyDelete